Subscribe via RSS Feed Connect with me on LinkedIn

SharePoint Federated Search Connector Examples

[ 28 ] June 6, 2010 |

UPDATE: I have removed the Google federated search connector and am working on a new one. Stay tuned

For a search presentation that I did for some clients I developed a number of FLD (Federated Location Definition) files for them to use.

Ive included them here so that you can use them yourselves and try out some of the cool federated search possiblities that you can do.

The XLST does contain a link to an image that works as a header but you can easily remove that if you like. Simply download the FLD file by right click and saving it to your desktop, then you can upload it to SharePoint.

UPDATE: There is also new connectors available from Microsoft, check it out here

And here are some examples of the FLD’s in action:

A search for Obama federating with YouTube, Flicker and Yahoo Images

A search for Obama federating with YouTube, Flicker and Yahoo Images

Another Federated page with Google, WikiPedia and others

Another Federated page with Google, WikiPedia and others

Federated search with Twitter, New York Time, ASX and Morningstar

Federated search with Twitter, New York Time, ASX and Morningstar

Search Federated with techy sites like TechNet, Technorati and others

Search Federated with techy sites like TechNet, Technorati and others

Tags: , ,

Category: General

About Michal Pisarek: Michal Pisarek is the founder of Dynamic Owl Consulting and a Microsoft SharePoint MVP. View author profile.

Comments (28)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

1. Kartik says:

Hi Michal,

I liked the way you posted .FLD files for Search engines. What i wanted to know is can we create .FLD file for any search engines or is there any dependencies like engine has to be based on Open Search? Basically i am looking for .fld file for Google Scholar and PubMed.

Thanks,
    Kartik Shah

2. Hi Kartik,

You can only federate with providers that support the OpenSearch protocol.
    However it does look like PubMed does support OpenSearch so you can easily develop your own fld file if you like!

3. Greg says:

Hi Michal,

I’ve been trying to get a federated search up and running for a while now using Google and your solution seems to work the best. I note though that the query template is hosted on another server and was wondering if you intend publishing the files necessary for us to host this internally. I’m particularly having problems with the More Results link template in that it refers back to the host server rather than the Google link I’ve populated.

Thanks,
    Greg

4. Hey Greg,

I’ve had a look at the google FLD and I’m not entirely sure in regards to which template you are referring.

Can you be a bit more specific or fire me off an email and we can discuss?

Thanks!

5. Greg says:

Hi Michal,

Thanks for the response. The Location Query Template is set to http://www.mzzt.net/opengoogle/?q={searchTerms}&start={startIndex?} and ultimately I was wanting to host this on our own server.

Hope that clarifies.
    Thanks,
    Greg

6. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Hire SharePoint Dev, Michael Kleine. Michael Kleine said: Sharepoint Federated Search Connector Examples | SharePoint Analyst HQ http://bit.ly/dxk5Qu [...]

7. Hey Gregg,
    No I thin that I am just going to stay using the Location Query Template as is, however I might be able to create one to host locally if that is something that you really need.

8. Des says:

I am investigating creating a Federated Search Connector from Sharepoint 2010 to TRIM 6.2.4 and CRM4. Has anyone got any advice on this.

9. [...] One of my most popular posts on this blog is the search connector files that I wrote in 2008 for MOSS 2007. It includes a range of search connectors from Twitter, Google and others, you can check it out here. [...]

10. Sheila says:

Has anybody tested this Google Search Connector in SharePoint 2010 or Fast? Do it work?

11. Hey Shelia,
    Yep the FLD files still work in SharePoint 2010.

Cheers

12. Hey Sheila.

Give the FLD file a shot but you should find that it works.

13. Sheila says:

Thanks Michal, will give a try.

14. Has anyone noticed that their stats for Federated Locations (Shared Services Administration: SharePoint_SharedServices > Search Administration > Federated Locations ) from Central Administration show extremely low stats?

I’m seeing 2 queries over last 30 days for FLD’s like Twitter / Google, etc… despite having them pass queries for every search and not having any other restrictions…

Any one with ideas?

15. Hey Robin,
    Hmm that is interesting. It should be registering for each search that is fired but I wonder if it only registers on when a user actually clicks on a federated result?

16. [...] Other SharePoint Federated Search Connector Examples [...]

17. John says:

Michael,

We have our own internal Google Search Appliance that crawls and indexes our non-SharePoint sites. I would like to utilize Federated Search with SharePoint to pull in what our GSA has indexed. Have done or seen anyone doing this? Thanks in advance.

John

18. Hey John,
    That shouldn’t be too difficult you would need to point the federation location to the URL that you access the google appliance from.
    If you use the google connector I have but change the URL from http://www.google.com to your internal appliance URL this should work.

19. Eric Germann says:

Do you have a zip or pointer to where you snagged the graphics from for the search results box?

EKG

20. Patty says:

Hi Michal,
    From the answer you gave to Gregg below, could you create one local template to host locally?.

Thanks,
    Patty

Hey Gregg,

21. Abhishek Maru says:

Hi Michal,

I have tried with your google connector but it is not showing any contents on my result Page. Rest all other connectors are working fine for me. Please suggest do i have to make any setting to use Google connector.

Thanks,
    Abhishek

22. Jeremy says:

Hello Michal,

I am facing the same problem as Abhishek. The google federated search does not display any results. Any idea to what might be causing this?

Thanks.

23. Let me have a look guys at the issue, I think I know what it is. Give me a week or two..

24. Joe says:

Hello Michal! Great solution and it is very easy to implement on the server. Great job! But I also have a bit of a problem with the google federated search. Got a solution for it?

25. Joe says:

The pictures from youtube is not shown? Is this a common problem?

26. gil says:

hi all thanks for your posts !

i also don’t have the youtube thumbnails shown on my results page.

any thing i should change ?

27. Offshore Company says:

Really helpful write-up on Sharepoint Federated
    Search Connector Examples | SharePoint Analyst HQ..
    Keep writing..